Thursday, February 18, 2010

At What Cost?

I've came across an Asian girl profile in FB who is currently resides in US as those event/promoter girl. Like many other Asian who are trying to get some fame, glamour and money that the West has to offer, she has a pair of fake big boobs with heavy make up and also to project herself as a sexy siren in order to get noticed and to gain a slice of the big pie in the entertainment industry. She is also a model and was featured in some magazines' cover and center folds. In one of her interviews she made a statement that, "You Can Make It Happen, If You Want It Bad Enough".

I totally agree with what she said. In fact, having set my toes in the modeling industry in the pass 8 months has given me the insight about what modeling/beauty /entertainment industry really is. It is a very competitive industry as many young girls would like to get themselves under the lime lights for the fame, glamour & money like I mentioned above, even in Malaysia.

Not many are so lucky to get picked by talent scout and be given job for big brand where you get recognition right away. It is not easy to get noticed or recognize in this field as there are many competitions around. There are many struggles and hard work but that might not get you anywhere if you don't have the luck or connection. Many girls would have to do lot more to achieve what they want and some make it and some might not.

As I started off modeling rather late so whatever I'm doing now is more of like a challenge to myself to see if I can make it and how far I can achieve. I'm definitely not intended to compete with all the young girls out there as my 'golden' period has passed. :D

As much as I want to try my very best to achieve something in this line, my hands are tights. There are many reasons why I can't do as much as what other girls would do to try to make it in this industry. The question is, "What is the price I'm willing to pay?" but on the other hand, since I'm married, a full time employed and have commitments, I am no longer qualified to play the game. I will not say further about what are the things I might need to do in order to make it in the modeling industry (for the majority) as I think it is not ethical even though many people could have guess it or some might actually know it.

All I can say is in order to make it in this industry (more or less those that put you under the limelights) besides those few really lucky one, you need to have the following attributes in order to at least make it somewhere. But then again it is also all depends on individuals fate.

So these are the attributes:
1. Starts at very young age
2. Must be single (it will be better if you are not seeing anyone)
3. Go for as many talent castings and auditions as possible
4. Sell yourself (as in to market yourself to get noticed)
5. Associate yourself with all the people in the related industries (once you are in the circle, you will notice that more and more people in the same industry would approach you)
6. Upkeep of oneself (unless you have rich parents to support you, else you will have to find other source of income to do so (any guess?)
7. Do not be choosy. The main thing is to get yourself noticed out there so for the start, even if without or very little pay just go for it.
8. Go ahead and do whatever you think might help you to make it in this industry, be it cosmetic surgery, or get financial support from someone (but there is no free lunch in this world, if you get what I mean).

There are generally 3 basic motives for most girls who want to get into this industry. Some girls do it for the fame and glamour, some do it for the money (to feed their material needs) and some are doing it for both. However, there are those who doing it out of passion or some by chance that they got selected by talent scouts. But whatever the reason(s) may be, as long as you are willing to pay the price and you are not really hurting anyone, I would say just go for it and go get what you want or dream of.

After all, you only live once!

No comments: