Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Truth or Lie?? How Can You Tell?!?

I do enjoy listening to Hitz.fm morning crew (JJ & Rudy) every workdays morning. Occasionally, there are some really funny Gotcha Calls and lately the Lie Detector Test...Until this morning.

A couple who have been dating (or perhaps 'dated' by now) for 4 years were on air. Well, basically the bf has strapped his gf in. The entire thing started very normal like others and after a series of questions from both JJ & Rudy, it was the bf turn to asked some personal questions. And that's when the entire show starts to turn really really sour. :(

You see, the bf was suspicious of the gf on an incident happened a week ago, thus, I think he purposely set her up so that he can question her with the lie detector on. Needless to say, things went really bad, coz from what I heard from the radio, the bf stomped out from the studio and the last word from the gf to JJ & Rudy was 'F*** You All!'.

I really feel sorry for them, but i don't know I feel sorrier for the couple or JJ & Rudy. The program is suppose to be all entertainment but it is sad that it has causes such damage to some individuals...

If the couple happen to read my blog (though I know it is very unlikely) but if they do, I hope they read the following:

Detractors of the polygraph call lie detection a voodoo science, saying that polygraphs are no more accurate at detecting lies than the flip of a coin. "Despite claims of 'lie detector' examiners, there is no machine that can detect lies," reads a statement from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). "The 'lie detector' does not measure truth-telling; it measures changes in blood pressure, breath rate and perspiration rate, but those physiological changes can be triggered by a wide range of emotions."
Lee, who has been performing polygraph exams for 18 years, agrees that polygraphs do not detect lies. "What has happened over the years is that the media has dubbed this lie detection, and that's what's clicked, but from a scientific perspective, absolutely not. There's no such thing as lie detection. I couldn't tell you what a lie looks like."
He does assert that polygraphs can detect deceptive behavior even through the stress brought on by the exam itself.


Truthful...He/She's telling the truth....He/She's lying.....Deceptive......whatever it is....don't let the lie detector to be the affecting factor to your life and relationship, it is merely a dumb machine after all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, thank you for listening. I hope everything is ok too.

Omotees said...

Hello!

Firstly, I want to thank you for blogging about this. I also tuned into the show that morning on the way to work. Initially, I thought it was "staged" but judging from JJ's comment on your blog, I guess it was real.

I personally thought that the bf had overreacted. Well, maybe overreacting is not the right word for it.

What I'm trying to say is that he could have handled the situation better. If you want to fight, do it outside of the studio lah. In that sense, he didn't handle it like a gentleman.

Having said that, I am by no means condoning what the gf did. But I believe they could have handled the situation better.

This should be a lesson for others out there. If you have issues to settle with your bf/gf, don't use a radio station as a platform/tool to solve your problem. The RM1,000 is not worth it lah. That's how I feel anyway.

If the couple broke up, they can't blame hitz.fm for it. If anything, the radio station had helped them speed up the process :P

Again, thanks again for blogging about this!

Anonymous said...

Personally i think that this particular session should not be aired or at least censored as i think it is something which will stir up mix emotions amongst the listeners.

I have always been a loyal listener to Hitz.fm and although the couple could have handled this better, I am sure that our fav DJs could have exercised some restraints on what was said.

I am sure you guys know that "Live Broadcast" is not an actual live telecast. There is a delay of at least 10 - 15 mins before we listeners get to listen so that they can perform some form of censorship in case of any foul and sensitive messages are said.

Anyhow, like Susiemclean said, for those who really hadap the RM1k to get into this situation truly deserve that the outcome is.

Unknown said...

Hi JJ & Suzie,

Thanks for reading my blog.

Whatever outcome it maybe to the couple, I hope all listeners out there would learn from this couple mistake.

Coz some things are meant to be dealt in private!

Cheers to you both!

Gerald Cheong said...

I actually commented on my blog that "at least they got RM1k" and some might disagree that it was just not worth it...

but take a moment and think about it..the bf was already planning to propose to that girl. So luckily for this lie detector thing, it saved him from a potentially disastrous marriage. And he got RM1k for it too (assuming that he took the money)

Painful to find out, yes. But better now than later.

WIN WIN situation IMO

Unknown said...

Hey Gerald, I think it depends how one look at the entire situation here. There's really hard to say whether it is good or bad, right or wrong as an outsider. But, I hope the guy took the money though, if not rugi ler...