Saturday, October 27, 2007

What Makes You FAT?

Some people are simply blessed with good genes. No matter how much they eat, what they eat, or even after a few kids, they still look as slim as ever, of course, I’m referring to those who use no aid of any diet/slimming pills or excessive exercise. They just can’t or don’t put on weight as easily as most people do.

I’m certainly positively accurately definitely NOT one of the lucky sorts. People always have the perception that I don’t put on weight even if I stow myself with lots of junk. Well, they are so W-R-O-N-G.

There was a time (during my teenage years and 20’s); I really can eat LOADS and can hardly put on weight. As a girl, what I can eat per meals is like two big bowls of noodles or a plate of chicken rice with additional (big bowl) rice or 4 slices of pizza (large) with 2 chicken wings and garlic bread and soup or eat a full meal like Steak and 15 scopes of ice cream right after, etc. I don’t kid you; I was a big eater for a girl standard or perhaps for some guys too.

My male friends used to tease me saying that I’ll have to marry a very rich guy in order to feed my BIG appetite for food, if not the poor guy will not be able to survive himself.

I don’t like the look some people gave me after I replied them that I never go on diet and I eat a lot of junk and fattening food like chocolate, cheese, full cream milk, chips when they asked me how I keep fit. They reacted like as though I was lying, as though I was being selfish and just didn’t want to share my ‘Slimming’ secret. Give me a break! No one believes me when I told them that I didn’t take diet pills.

But as I age (I’m already 31 yrs old), my metabolism rate has slow down gradually and I noticed I do put on weight more easily compare to 2 years ago.

Everyone who knows me well also knows that I don’t like to eat rice. More precisely, I don’t like to eat plain rice, although I love fried rice, coconut rice (nasi lemak) chicken rice & tomato rice. Then again, plain rice is serving on most of the days so I hardly eat rice unless my mom in law cooks some special rice dishes occasionally, or I order it myself whenever I eat out.

Well, I think perhaps due to the fact that I rarely consume rice, hence my body really not accustomed to rice. I realized whenever I continuously take rice for couple of days, my tummy will start bulging and my thighs would also grow bigger & flaunting all the cellulites shamelessly (no one ever seems to notice any changes coz I hid it well under my clothes),

However, no visible sign of fat or weight elevation, does that means you are slim & fit? At least that’s what I thought, but, I was so wrong.

There is a new term called ‘Slim ‘Fat’ People’. Now, what exactly is that? Well, studies show that many thin people have the same heart disease risk and type 2 diabetes risk as obese people. In fact, some thin people are at higher risk than sumo wrestlers! The reason? Intra-abdominal fat. (Refer to
http://ezinearticles.com/?Slim-People-at-Risk-for-Fat-Related-Health-Problems?&id=588568 for more info).

Well, there are more than about eating right and doing right amount of exercise. Sometimes, it is about knowing what you shouldn’t eat by finding out what makes your body gains fat easily. Because, I have friends eating the same amount as me, go to gym and work out faithfully every other day and yet, they still failed to shed the unwanted fat.

The matter of fact is apart from having a balance diet and regular exercise, you must know what makes you fat, then try to cut down tremendously or stay away from it if you can help it. (I know it is easier said than done, but if there’s a will, there’s a way, man!)

As every individuals comprise different chromosomes in their body, thus each body system is also varies, hence, we can never apply general diet plan to everyone. Rice makes me fat but not any form of meat, but for another person, the culprit could be the poultry or the bread.

So, start making some observation over your daily diet and single out the suspicious food then try to stop eating it(s) for a while and see if it makes a difference. If you notice your weight seems to drop after quitting a particular food, then try eating it again to confirm if it causes your weight gain again. If it does, then you know what you should do.

One more thing, try to substitute water consumption with green tea or Oo Long tea after your lunch before dinner time, it helps.

No comments: