Thursday, April 17, 2008

Material Girl

A lady friend of mine, J, was mentioning about a conversion she had with a guy some time back. The guy commented that girls these days are so much more materialistic compare to last time. J then asked the guy why would he make such a comment and his replied were that girls these days love to buy expensive & branded stuff.

There are basically three groups of people here, the first group only buy genuine branded stuff, the second group would like to buy branded stuff but can’t afford the real one, hence they opt for the ‘imitation’ branded stuff (mind you an imitation LV bag can actually cost up to RM1K, where else the original might cost between RM2-3K), and the third group couldn’t care less or can’t even afford the imitation one, thus they would buy things with no special branding and cost way much cheaper.

Are girls these days more materialistic in general? Well, I would say the answer is yes and no. Just because girls these days tend to spend more money on branded stuff, do not make them materialistic. Let me share what I considered is materialistic and what’s not.

For those who are all out to get a rich boyfriends or sugar daddy (these are the gold digger) and demand the guys to buy them branded stuff, or even when their boyfriends are not rich but the girls still demand the guys to buy them branded stuff, meaning, the girls themselves either can’t afford it or do not want to use their own money but ask other people to buy for them, those are materialistic.

But, for a girl, if she is earning well and all she wants is at the end of the day pamper herself with some branded & expensive merchandise with her hard earn money, that is not materialistic. I mean if you are capable of earning the money, you have every rights to spend it anyway you want, so if you feel that using branded stuff makes you feel good, by all means go ahead, coz no one has the rights to comment or condemn that you are materialistic for using your own money.

But personally, I’m the kind of person which I rather use RM1000 to buy maybe 5 different handbags than to spend RM1500 on only 1 bag. I’m not really a brand conscious person, for me a GUESS handbag is exclusive enough. I don’t need to use LV, GUCCI or BURBERRY for the sake of having a branded handbag, coz after all the difference between GUESS and LV, etc is the ‘Brand’. Quality wise, I think GUESS is very good and please bear in mind a GUESS handbag that cost up to RM200-400 is also consider expensive. For those who only shop from Pasar Malam, the same amount of money that I pay for 1 GUESS handbag could probably get them 10 handbags from Pasar Malam.

To be frank, I do buy imitation goods. I've bought 3 imitation GUESS handbags from a Thai Fair and its cost me less RM 100 in total and they look just as nice as the original. Only thing is the quality of the zip are lousy but then again I’ll have excuse to buy new one when its spoil. So in other way, I don’t have to get stuck with the same design for so long. I’ll always have the liberty to buy more without feeling guilty because of the price.

No comments: