Sunday, August 19, 2007

Patriotism

Another 12 more days to our 50th National Day...MERDEKA! MERDEKA! MERDEKA!!!

Are you patriotic? What constitutes patriotism? From my own knowledge, there are:

  • Respect our flag
  • Respect our National Song (the original tune was derived from an old Hawaiian song titled 'Mamula Moon')
  • Do not condemn your own country (especially to outsiders)
  • Never be a traitor
  • Put up our national flag during Merdeka Day (at least I think that's what almost everyone does to show their love to our country during this period of the year)

I suppose there are more but basically these are all I could think of.

Admit it or not, all of us, whether you are Chinese, Malay, Indian or other races in Malaysia, one way or the other, we have criticise our government, complain about the unjustice of certain issues, condemn about our laws & practices and so forth.

Well, nothing is perfect in this world. Not a person, not a painting, not a car, and certainly not a government in any country. However, Malaysia is still a better place compares to many other countries. Hence, disatisfaction and frustration aside, we do love our country in many ways and we are proud to be Malaysian.

As a little person as I am (I always dub myself as 'Small Potatoe'), I don't really know what can I do to show my love or patriotism to my country, but I think I do have my own little approaches on loving my homeland by practicing what I've mentioned above as best as I could.

Malaysia is where I was born, where I've grew up, where I met my hubby, where I get married, where I have my wonderful life experience and most likely the place where I will grow old and pass away.

So, you tell me....how can I not love this country and not have any sense of patriotism towards it?

No comments: